Saturday, January 3, 2009

2008: Christmas Holidays

I have spent the last 2 weeks with my family between England and Paris for the Holidays. This was the first time my entire family has been together in over 5 years, so needless to say it was a very special time indeed. I had limited access to internet over Christmas since we were staying in a little cottage on the Leeds Castle grounds. The other times I actually did have access, I preferred to be spending my time playing games, visiting, and enjoying everyone's company. Below is a little photo storybook of my holidays.

It all started when we arrived at Leeds Castle on December 19,

to join the rest of my family for the holidays. There were 10 of us, including myself, Jennie, my brother's new fiancee, my brother, my sister, her husband, my grandma (all the way from Saskatchewan), my mom, dad, and my other sister.

We stayed on the idealic Leeds Castle grounds in the Keeper's House for the rest of the week. Other than us, there were just a few sheep,

and black swans, which are the symbol of the castle. They were first imported to the UK from Australia by Lady Baillie, who was a former inhabitant of the castle and spent much of her time beautifying it.

During the first half of the week it was unseasonably warm, which was enjoyed by all. Sometimes even the nicer weather could not tear us away from a scrappy game of Settlers of Catan,

Monopoly (the reason I am smiling is because I was just on the verge of my victory!),

or foozeball. I definitely have to give victory credit to my brother-in-law who was clearly the champion when it came to individual play. However, I do believe that my mother and I were the team champions! As it turns out, my brother-in-law had access to a foozeball table at his old place of work...now I know why he had to work so many late nights!

Inbetween the games and the trash talking we did find a nice little watering hole (The George Inn), where we even managed to wet our whistle's during Christmas afternoon. The atmosphere was cozy, the food was good, and it was stumbling distance from the cottage...what more could you ask for in a pub?!

It did not matter if we went out for a bite to eat and a pint, or if we stayed in, it was always a fun time! Christmas dinner was especially giddy, and to be honest, I cannot recall if grandma was actually sitting on my lap for that photo!

I guess you could say, I felt like a king over the holidays!

But it was not all fun and games - I did even manage to get in a little exercise while I was there. There were times where it was difficult to fit in a regular workout routine. I even found myself doing crossbody leg swings while waiting for a train to attend a Christmas Carol recital at the Canterburry Cathedral.

I wanted to be limber for my 20 miler I ran with my brother on Christmas Day around the Castle grounds. While we were running he told me that he was going to blow off this long run but after reading one of my earlier blog posts, he said that he would feel too guilty if he did not! I have discovered another training motivation technique - Guilt!

But we both concluded that running in the shadows of the castle, undistrubed by people, was a pretty special way to spend Christmas morning!

After our time in England, the gang moved across the English Channel to Paris, where my brother and I still found time to do a little exercise, but in the form of the Wii Fit. Skiing was especially popular...people even held the imaginary poles!
I kept my workout regiment up by showing grandma many of the sites and sounds of Paris. I had to push her along the cobble stone streets of Paris, which provided good strength training! I would not trade the time spent with her for anything...plus her chair provided a good place for me to lean when we were both taking a break!

It was special to take her to see my favorite view of the Notre Dame,

to look up high

to see the Eiffle Tower,

to share her very first cotton candy with her,
and to take her to see the masterpieces in the Louvre. She found that this one reminded her a lot of home!

The Louvre was very special - grandma told me that she remembered learning about The Mona Lisa in school and she was looking forward to seeing it. When we got into the room where it is on display it was a complete zoo. We patiently got "in line" and were waiting to get upfront when an off-duty tour guide approached us and told us to follow him. He proceeded to take us around the side, through the security, and sat us no more than 10 feet directly infront of The Mona Lisa. He talked to us about the Mona Lisa then told us to stay as long as we wanted. The mobs of people AND the security were all behind us - just grandma, me, and Mona. We sat there for 3-5 minutes and enjoyed a view seldom enjoyed of the painting before we moved on. That was a special moment made possible by a complete stranger.

We continued exploring Paris everyday

and reflecting back on the holidays now,

they were without a doubt the best ever - not because of the location, but because of who was there.
A+

No comments: