Friday, December 26, 2008

Dec. 26: Boxing Day

So I have spent the last week at Leeds Castle, in the south of England with my family for Christmas. It was everything I look for in a vacation - secluded, quiet, in lovely countryside, and with family and the ones that you love. It was really nice because we had a cottage rented on the Leed's castle grounds and had private access to the grounds when it was closed to the public. What did this mean in terms of running?

It meant that on Christmas day, I woke up early (7:30 - early by european standards) with my brother and joined him for his longest long run in preparation for the Houston marathon (His first marathon). It was a beautiful crisp morning, running around the castle and the grounds - it was definitely the nicest, most scenic, and most enjoyable longest long run I have ever done. The 2 hours and 54 minutes felt only like 10 minutes and before we knew it we had finished 20 miles - all of it either going up or down through the rolling countryside. Near the end my family came out to cheer us on for the final 5 miles, which was greatly appreciated! It was a good confidence builder for both of us - it is the longest he has ever ran and it is the longest I have gone since the Berlin marathon.

I also managed another two 6 mile runs 2 days prior. So, for a Christmas week I have managed 32 miles so far, which is better than I expected! I hope to include some pictures when I have time as the running and scenery was spectacular. I am sitting in my hotel in London for the weeked getting ready to get some pub grub and enjoy Boxing Day! Tomorrow we will see Spam-a-lot and hopefully get some miles along the river Thames.

Merry (belated) Christmas! And to all those Canadians out there - Happy Shopping Today!

Cheers!

1 comment:

Simon Anderson said...

Happy new year Minken.

How was Spamalot?

It sounds as though you had a splendid Christmas.

My training is going according to plan and I'm feeling confident of completing Paris in 2:50 - 2:55.

What are your predictions for your racing?

It seems that we're of quite similar ability so I'll be keeping an eye out for you.

Best wishes,

Simon.