Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Dec. 2: Dave be nimble, Dave be quick...

...Dave jump over a 10m long dog leash stretched across a dark section of the running path at the last second to save himself from falling flat on his ass...

hmmmm...I may have got that last little bit of the riddle wrong?! I was running along, feeling the rain drizzle against my face, the gusty cold air blasting my legs, and running through my own cloud of breath with each exhale when I noticed a dog off to the side of the pathway. I looked for his owner and saw none...I made the "save" assumption that the dog was off-leash, so I continued my stride without delay. I continued upon the dog when suddenly, deep in the depths of my peripheral I saw what looked like a human form, moving in panic towards me. An instant evaluation of what I was about to do led me to jump, without even looking down to confirm my suspicion that there was, indeed, a dog leash 1 1/2 feet above the ground acting as the perfect trap for any unsuspecting runner. I felt the leash just brush the front of my shin as an unplanned shot of adrenalin shot me to safety...narrowly preserving my run just as it was beginning to get good!

I ran another 6 miles today in the rain, cold, and wind as follows:
7:25, 7:10, 7:13, 7:03, 6:59, 7:13 min/mile

Well, I am a whole 12 miles into a new training program and I still feel good!! Woohooo! (Please note heavy sarcasm).

A+

2 comments:

Sonia said...

that's a pretty irresponsible dog owner. At least he didn't bite you at the wrong place lol

Minken said...

I still have a scar on my quad that I received from a dog (on an extended leash)during my longest long run before Calgary in Houston. The dog even had to run at me to bite me...unfortunately I was on an unlit street, it was almost midnight and the owner did not look too forgiving...