Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Dec. 9: A Tale of Two Runs

It was the underdressed of times,
It was the overdressed of times,
It was the run of foolishness,
It was the run of smartness,
...

During the last two days I have run the exact same 6 mile loop twice. The first time I had a layer or two of clothing too little and the second time, I was a layer or two of clothing too heavy. The first time I forgot to factor in the blustery, cold wind and found that my short shorts and my long-sleeve technical shirt did little to prevent it from whipping through my body like a Gulf Coast Hurricane.

"Being smarter" for the second run, I donned a windbreaker and wind pants...this would be a good strategy if there was a repeat of the same arctic wind that had moved through a day previous. Instead, the extra clothing acted as my own personal sauna, as though I was just running in normal conditions in Houston. It was not like I was running in August, but perhaps early spring!

Nor was I overdressed like the person who finishes a 5km with 4 GUs, a fanny pack loaded with pain killers, and 2 sweaters and a jacket tied around their waist at the finish line because they had no idea of what they were getting themselves signed up for, but you would think that they would learn from their 1 fun-run that they do every 5 years (Ok, I digress...but you know who I am talking about...oh yeah, I almost trampelled their kid too because they were lining up at the start line for a "photo op").

So anyways, here are the splits from the two runs. The first one it is clear that I had a purpose the entire time - I just wanted to get home. On the second one I just took it easy and ran as Jack Daniels would prescribe.

Hell Just Froze Over Run:
7:15, 7:03, 7:04, 6:56, 6:46, 6:56 min/mile

Detox Run with home-made sauna:
7:33, 7:22, 7:27, 7:21, 7:24, 7:26 min/mile

Gotta run...Jammin' out to Trans Siberian Orchestra and this blogging is really interfering with my sweet, sweet air guitar.

A+

No comments: