Thursday, January 15, 2009

Jan.15: Yeah I do speed...

...but I am just a recreational user. And I have not done it in months. So, just doing a little bit every once in a while shouldn't hurt, should it? Besides, sometimes I just need a good little pick-me-up. You know, a little something to get me through the week. Sometimes the week can be struessful enough as it is that one should be allowed to take a little escape from reality...no?

I finally got out to the track tonight for some long awaited speed workout tonight (my first since September...yikes!) I was undecided between 2 different workouts. I could do 5x1000m at "Hard" pace with 600m recoveries or 3 miles at Threshold pace. I decided to do the Threshold pace workout because it worked out to be 2 miles shorter in the long run. The run was a complete success! Arguably I went a little harder than Threshold pace and ended up doing more of a "Hard" run, but whatever - I am not going to split hairs over it (because split ends are just nasty)!

Warmup - 2 miles at 7:45 min/mile pace
3 miles at Threshold Pace as follows:
1. 5:53 min/mile
2. 5:52 min/mile
3. 5:47 min/mile
Cooldown - 2 miles at 7:41 min/mile pace

Total Workout - 7 miles (or 28 laps - if you prefer the "hamster calculation")

My HR is shown below in red and my pace is in blue.
Simon - note the low frequency trend of my HR as the interval progresses. If I start too quick, this trend will find very high HR's quicker, which ultimately causes me to crash and burn (typically around 175 for extended intervals). Thankfully this did not happen tonight, but that is what I refer to when I say I will "run out of HR".

So, as my sister and brother-in-law would say, I bagged it! Since hearing them use this term I have started using it a lot because I think that it is classic. However, I prefer putting a french spin on it - In france a bag is called a "sac". So instead of saying "I bagged it, " I say "I sacked it"!! That just sounds wrong (and painful!)

I hope you kids sack whatever you have planned for the rest of the day!

A+

No comments: