Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Jan.17: A Few Wrong Turns...

Yesterday, after my morning glory, I made a few "wrong" (or different) turns on what would otherwise be a normal commute to work and 11 hours later I found myself in Houston, Texas. I have only been gone for a little less than a year and although I have returned a few times since I left I find that there a little, everyday things that I never noticed before that now just make me giggle.

For starters, upon arrival I went to the car rental agency to pick up my economy sized car. For the same price I was offered a compact. I figured that since we are in Texas now, where everything is bigger (pahdun), perhaps having a little extra metal around me may not be such a bad idea. I would still be no match in a bumper car derby with the standard fare you see on the Houston roads (i.e. Hummer, F350's, Navigators, etc). However, none of their compacts would start so I was told just to take a "mid-size" ve-hi-cle (I love how they say that here!). So, this is what I got:
And this is mid-sized?!! Are you kidding me? I soon as I saw this beauty anchored at the dock I just broke out laughing! Put a tank gun on this thing, paint it brown, and I am ready for desert storm. So, before we pulled out of the lot I, of course, did a survey of the ve-hic-le to make sure that there were no iceberg chunks caught in the grill from a previous accident and we were off.
I was able to contain my giddiness until we reached the newly improved I-10 where I was greeted with 10 lanes of traffic for EACH direction, which made me giggle even more! I am happy to be back!
Saturday morning I had a relaxing 6 mile run with my main man JD (avg. pace ~ 7:35 min/mile). I sure do miss running with him and this run just reminded me of that fact. I plan on running some more with him throughout the week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That thing is HUGE - are you kidding me? Cruisin' H-Town in your station wagon! One may consider this an American version of a "people mover". Wick-ED dude! On the bright side - you probably needed that extra room for all your shopping bags.... :)

Pony and Petey said...

When we came over the hill from downtown, heading west on I-10, and I saw all those beautiful lanes spread out in non-congestion-forming glory, I gasped in amazement and thanksgiving to my ve-hi-cle compatriots.

YAY for Houston!!

Hey, these big ve-hi-cles come in handy for taking your big dogs with you to run errands = ))

YAY for Durangos and BIG DOGS!!!

Bill Blancett said...

By big dogs are you referring to your entourage or posse? :)