Monday, January 5, 2009

Jan.5: Back to Work

Last night going to bed I lied there, staring at the ceiling contemplating what today might bring. It would be, afterall, my first day back at work in nearly 2.5 weeks. I felt like a kid again, forcing myself to go to bed early the night before school started again after summer break, wondering what the new year might bring. I lied there trying vainly to remember what it was I was actually working on. After 5 minutes of hopeless thought I resigned myself to the fact that today would probably be a loooooooooong one!

Remarkably my fears were without substance. I managed to crank out a sweet, sweet day at work. I even walked home with a little swagger thinking to myself, "Yep, 2009 is looking like a good year!" But this thought ended abruptly when I nearly got to my door and I realized that I forgot my keys 30 minutes ago, back in my office. Yep, it looks like the world and I were once again even for the day! But I am confident that there are still a few days left in this year for me to still get the upper hand!

This delay, nor the icy paths resulting from a full day of snow flurries, did not deter me from getting out to enjoy 8 miles completely to myself. I had to be extra careful and run slowly so I would not fall ass-over-tea kettle. As it turns out, I was right on my easy pace anyhow, so it worked out quite well. The run went as follows:

7:24, 7:29, 7:27, 7:24, 7:26, 7:23, 7:23, 7:15 min/mile

For what it is worth, I flirted with an acclerated run yesterday as well. I "accelerated" for 6 miles then pulled it back for the final 2. That run was on dry streets and looked a little different:

7:16, 7:08, 7:07, 6:58, 6:50, 6:13, 7:04, 7:01 min/mile

This is also the first week of Phase II for training. Up until now I really have not been too motivated. I generally find that once I start banging out some hard workouts that my motivation is soon to pick up. I am sure that will be the case again and am looking forward to the journey...again! This journey may be a little different as I want to get back into cycling, which was my first love long before this running nonsense got in the way!!

A+

1 comment:

Bert said...

Sounds like the running is going great, unlike the Paris weather... You seem to be thriving there, can you extend your stay?