Thursday, August 7, 2008

Aug 7 - Training for 'The Wall'

Today when I got home from work I was tired and starving. Well, none of this is particularly new as I am always hungry by the time I get home but today I had hunger pangs and was feeling so sleepy that I did not know if I should have a nap, eat, or dream about eating while napping. However, I decided to be strong and stay diligent to my running schedule. I looked at this as a perfect opportunity to train for the final 4-5 miles of a marathon. These are those miles, just after you hit "the wall" where you feel dizzy all the time, nauseaous, and wonder, "why?". These are also the miles that you just cannot train for...sure, you can do a lot of training in an effort to avoid having these types of miles altogether but once they hit, there is not a whole lot that can prepare you for them (other than being born with balls of steel).

So, looking for the silver lining in my current condition, I headed out tonight knowing that it would be great training for when things just suck. The first 3 miles or so did, indeed, suck. With each step I felt like I was going to stumble and fall and become tomorrow's news. But afterwards I think I found a bit of a groove and (dare I say) actually enjoyed running tonight! I must have also hit my groove before I saw my 3 trannies because they definitely had a twinkle in their eyes when I ran past!

I ran 7.65 miles tonight at an average pace of 7:25 min/mile. I am quite positive that I ran further and faster tonight but Monsieur Garmin was all over the place. I think he was competing with a thunderstorm nearby...the thunderstorm won.

After my run I was treated to some of Jennie's latest creation - Eggplant Lasgana. She has been talking about this for the last few days. It certainly lived up to the hype! I am so glad that I am not a bachelor (for many reasons...the reason I chose tonight is that Jennie is always concerned about keeping my energy levels up for "running"!)

Later dudes!
A+

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh so yummy! A must make recipe for all you cooks out there who dare to be different. Dave had seconds, so it had to be good :) http://www.fatfreevegan.com/veggies/eggplant-lasagna.shtml

Anonymous said...

"I am so glad that I am not a bachelor (for many reasons..."

Yeah, I know it sucks to be me! I had PB&J that night. On the bright side, it was quick and relatively light so I was able to eat it before my run. =>, no low energy for me on the run.

Steve Bezner said...

dude your amazing and I love egg plant!