Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Aug 14 - Aug 17: England: Day 1

It was a long weekend in France - Assomption Day (I have I no idea what this day is for, but who cares, it is a long weekend!) - so Jennie and I headed to London to hang with my sister, beau frere (as the french would say - they call their in-laws the beautiful people (no, not like Marilyn Manson...but I am sure that is true in many cases) as kind of a tongue in cheek, sarcastic name), my mom, and my dad. It is funny, I absolutely love living in Paris but everytime I leave for an english speaking country I just feel a huge load of pressure melt off of my shoulders - finally I will be able to understand the language being spoken around me. As an aside, I think I am developing new expression lines in my face from my permanent look of confusion I have all day long when people are speaking to me! But more importantly - I can finally watch the Olympics in English...plus my sister and my beau-frere have TiVO, which means I will get to watch the women's marathon over breakfast (instead of the ungodly hour of 12:30am - 3:00am). My weekend was looking up (Oh yeah, and seeing my family was going to be pretty cool too!)!

The only realy hiccup of the weekend was getting there. Last time I took the train from Paris to London but this time we decided to fly (cannot make a proper comparison if you have not tried both). Let's just say that the train is the way to go. There were plenty of delays, extremely rude stewardesses, things took twice as long as I woud like, and when we got into London we just missed the last tube of the day so a 4 pound tube ride quickly turned into a 50 pound cab ride...but money cannot buy the mini family reunion awaiting us!

As an aside about the Olympics, I have seen some banter going back and forth of whether or not Michael Phelps is the greatest Olympian of all time. I am not going to jump into the argument because he is certainly a talented athlete and he has definitely won my respect (as has his teammates (i.e. Jason Lezak) who made his accomplishment(s) possible). However, if you are going to use longevity of career and dedication to your sport as one of your criteria to argue about the great Olympians, one should not overlook Canada's Ian Millar.

L8r

No comments: