Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Aug 13: Hella Jealous

Well dudes, I think you boys might be hella jealous because I am officially done my Marathon paced run for the week...sweet! Normally I wait until the weekend to do the longer quality runs but tomorrow I am off to visit my sister, brother-in-law, and my mom and dad as they are passing through England. That means that this weekend I will be in a new environment - trying to figure out when/when to run 19 miles can really pretty a damper on my weekend plans (anyone say beer and pubs?!)!

Normally on Wednesdays I do my track/threshold runs but like any well informed traveller I have already been on Google Earth and identified all 400m tracks within a 5km radius of my sister's house in England. I took a snapshot, circled all the tracks on PowerPoint and sent the presentation to my sister. My brother-in-law did some sweet ground work and has figured out which ones are public access and the times that they are open. I figured it would be much easier to do my track workout while in England vs. a 19 mile marathon-paced run. (I am pretty impressed with my pre-travel arrangements...it is true though - I am a totally anal runner - does this prove it?)

Anyhow, all day today I kept thinking about my run and was totally pumped! These types of runs are best done when you are mad or a little ticked. Having a little chip on your shoulder is always good for an extra 5-15 seconds/mile of your pace! "Unfortunately" I have been having a great week and my day was fantastic! I left work a little early today, came home, and headed out. But before I headed out Jennie was exceptionally chatty today - she was up in my grill more than road kill today...her friend has certainly had a great effect on Jennie - they have certainly been having a great time in Paris this week...it has been fun to watch!

Anyhow, my run - the goal was to run 2 miles warmup, 15 miles at marathon pace (6:30-6:45 min/mile), 2 mile cooldown. Here is what happened:

2 mile warmup (7:15 min/mile)
Marathon Paced Miles:
6:41, 6:35, 6:26, 6:29, 6:34, 6:28, 6:28, 6:31, 6:27, 6:28, 6:24, 6:27, 6:22, 6:23, 6:15 min/mile
Average Pace: 6:28 min/mile
2.17 mile cooldown (7:14 min/mile)
Total Mileage: 19.17 miles
Here is what it looked like - I took the averages over the marathon-paced section. I know that I probably went a little harder than required. I never follow Jack's Marathon pace - after talking to him personally he recommended that his Marathon goals for each VDOT are only really realistic if you are putting in a minimum of 80miles/week...unless, of course, you are a super freak. I am a super freak, but not when it comes to running - so I always adjust M paced runs for my goals for the marathon. The other good thing about this run is that I did not stop once (except for when I was done the Marathon paced bit). It was nice just to settle into a groove and let my legs go from there!
What was really neat about this run too was that at about mile 7 or so, there were 3 other middle-aged runners who all started clapping and giving me the thumbs up when I ran by. I was running on an approx 3 mile loop today and this was probably the second or third time that they saw me. It was a really genuine, honest to goodness "Way to Go!" acknowledgement out on the trail from one group of runners to another. I honestly felt like I had just crossed the finish line of the marathon when they started doing that! (You will also notice that afterwards my splits pretty much stayed below 6:30...it is amazing what a kind gesture can do!)
If you made it this far I also ran 6.82 easy miles on Monday night. This is only a 42 mile week, with most of the miles being chewed up in the quality portions. It is a great opportunity to let my body rest!
You guys keep it real and good luck on your Marathon paced runs this weekend...I do not envy having to run them in Houston at all!
Later sk8rs!
A+

No comments: