Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Aug 17: Wimbledon Track Workout

Today was the last day of my training week and I still had to do my quality Threshold workout so that meant only one thing - time to go to the track in Wimbledon that my beau-frere researched for me prior to my arrival and lay down some sweet, sweet threshold miles! It was pretty cool - check out where the track was below. Just to the left is the Wimbledon tennis courts.

So, feeling inspired by all the great things that have occured just next to the track I started trotting around and getting fired up! It was extra inspirational since my sister, beau-frere, and Jennie were hanging out track side (yes, going on vacation with me means you get to spend some sweet, sweet time checking out the local tracks...maybe it is a good thing that I got into this whole running thing AFTER getting married!)

I was pretty excited to run, but my pacing was ALL over the place. The whole idea of going to a track for these workouts is to nail your pace and to keep it consistent. I definitely was not consistent, but getting a track workout during vacation kept a smile on my face the entire time! The workout unravelled like so (the general theme is one of excitement at the beginning of each interval followed by boredom!):

Warmup: 2.02 miles (7:09 min/mile)
Threshold (reported as cumulative miles):
1. 5:58 min
1.5: 3:01
400m recovery: 1:52 min

2.5: 5:53 min
3: 3:02 min
400m recovery: 1:53 min

4: 5:51 min
4.5: 3:04 min
400m recovery: 1:53 min

5.5: 5:55 min
6.25: 4:31 min

2 mile recovery (7:20 min/mile)

This is the graphical representation.


After the workout, we were all leaving the track when 2 other guys were walking up and starting to get ready for their workout. I said hello and they both said hello back and I kept walking. My brother-in-law asked me, "Do you know who that was?!" I said, "Nope". It turns out, it was a Great Britain tennis star, Andy Murray, who had just been eliminated from the Olympics a few days earlier. My sister told me that I should go back and run a few laps with him...I decided against it - I thought that the poor guy is probably still feeling bad from losing out at the Olympics let alone having some no-name whoop him on the track!!! LOL

Total Weekly Miles: 43.24 miles (Goal: 42 miles - goal achieved!)

A+

No comments: