Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Cleaner

First, let me state that, 'no, this is NOT a continuation of my last post' (recall the "losing pressure" scenario of the little boy trying to get his processed juice-box into the urinal). Instead, it is the title of the movie (starring Samuel L. Jackson, Eva Mendes, and Ed Norton) that the Mrs. and I went to see today after work. For me, going to the movies is always a matter of economics - save me the analysis and just answer this one question - was it worth 8 euros?

My answer - No. Thankfully though I only paid 3 euros! I can buy movie coupons through my work for a discounted price. Therefore, I was still able to enjoy the popcorn with the justification that it was essentially 'free' tonight (Normal Cost (8) - Actual cost (3) = A savings of 5 euros. The popcorn was 4.75 euros, so one might argue that I made 0.25 euros by going to this movie tonight? No, wait a second, that is girl-math. That is the type of math where you figure that by spending $500.oo worth of clothes that were on sale for 1/3 off, that you actually saved $250.00 by going shopping)!

The jist of the story is that Samuel L. Jackson is a janitor that specializes in bio-harzards (a.k.a. body tissue and fluids) who soon finds himself trying to clean up more than just a bloody sofa but an, almost forgotten, yet infectious past. For me, these types of movies need awesome action scenes (because, less face it - this modern age has totally desensitized us all), crazy plot twists (because we will never accept anything less after watching 'The 6th Sense'), and a solid storyline. (just good ol' basics on this point). Although I was moderately entertained through 2/3 of the movie, I would not really recommend it.

What was entertaining were all the people making out in the theatre. I heard a lot of giggling and slurping sounds...you know, the sound made when you are using a straw just to get at the last few drops of soda in the bottom of your Big Gulp cup. I think the couple sitting infront of us must have only paid for one ticket because they insisted on sitting in the same seat. I certainly hope that they got their 8 euros worth...but from what I could tell, they certainly did!

This morning I had Pilates. The difficult thing for me is that it is a total effort just to sit upright, with my legs straight out infront of me. My hips are so tight that it makes doing some of the positions extremely difficult. I guess Shakira and I have something in common...my hips don't lie.

Tomorrow is a 4x1200m track workout. As I write this I think Scotty and JD are getting primed for their similar workout. I expect a full report when I wake up tomorrow boys so I will know if I can slack off or not when I do it!!

Bonne nuit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bud -
Girl math? I think more like trying to count every penny "accounting math". (Especially if you have do yourself a little analysis.) Add those late nights and extra hours at work and this screams typical bean counting ACCOUNTANT behavior!! Now you just need a ten-key and a bright blue t-shirt with a green dot to make it all offical...

But at the end of the day - just remember JKD's wise words of wisdom - "you can't save money spending money" - even if it's on a really bad movie... :)

Koza said...

It was an absolutely fantastic night for a workout. Interestingly, we had a line of storms moving to the south this afternoon, didnt get any rain that I saw, but perhaps this brought enough of a change in the weather for great conditions in June. Still a good wind out of the south, but I took advantage.

The first week of intervals I did 4x800, last week I did 5x 4min, tonight I did 3x1200 and 1x800. Times for the intervals are as follows: 6:53/6:50/6:47/6:51 for the 800. Legs were a bit tired the last 800m. Cooldowns were .25mi, plus Tiger Red Drive Gatorade after 2 and 3. I was quite impressed with the workout and really felt great. 2 mi warmup and2.25 mi cool down to bring the total nights mileage to 8.

Andrew unfortuantely had a strider event and was not able to cash in these conditions, but hopefully this will inspire both of you guys for tomorrows workout!

Keep it real!