Wednesday, June 4, 2008

400m, or 81 seconds

Yes Alex, the question is: "What is the exact difference between having a running partner and not?" DING, DING, DING...that is correct!!

Today's workout was scheduled to be the following:

2 mile warmup
5x (1200m (Interval Pace*) + Rest as Required)
Cooldown

*Interval pace = 4:10, 4:07: 4:03 min/1200meters for VDOT=58, 59, 60 (respectively)

I am still finding my running legs and getting reacquainted with speed so I have been slowly pushing my speed boundaries each week ever so careful to avoid any type of set back. I was really excited to start this workout tonight and was only slightly delayed by work before I met up with Jennie and headed to the track.

To prove that I actually ran on a track tonight - check this out! The track is located on Isle de Neilly in the middle of the Seine River, which you see on both sides - pretty cool spot to get your speed on.


So, here here are the stats:

2 mile warmup: 7:26 min/mile

1. 1200m (1:19, 1:21, 1:21) = 4:01 minutes (800m recovery)
2. 1200m (1:19, 1:21, 1:22) = 4:02 minutes (800m recovery)
3. 1200m (1:20, 1:21, 1:23) = 4:04 minutes (800m recovery)
4. 1200m (1:21, 1:22, 1:21) = 4:04 minutes (800m recovery)
5. 800m (1:20, 1:23) = 2:43 minutes
1.5 mile cooldown

Total Miles = 9.1 miles

So there you have it - the difference of not running these with Andrew is the final 400m on the 5th repeat! I was going to stop after 4 - I had convinced myself that I did a good job tonight, and that I did not want to hurt myself, and (insert other totally lame excuse here) ...
After cooling down for 800m I ramped back up and charged into the 5th repeat. But after already showing mental fragility by even considering that I would not do this final repeat, I was mentally broken from the start of this one. By 600 I was concentrating on everything but running and by 800 I packed it in. But I am not going to get overly worried - I am pretty happy with the workout and how I am feeling now. Another baby step closer back to "Runner David"!

Now, the purpose of Interval training is to stress your VO2 max (aerobic capacity). According to Jack Daniels it takes ~ 2minutes into the interval for your body to start functioning at VO2 max. As usual, I wore my heart rate monitor and am always fascinated by the interval workouts. (Heart rate is in red; pace is in blue).



To me, it always seems as though the first interval is practise. The maximum heart rate I achieve there is just scratching the heart rates acheived with the other intervals. You will also note that for most intervals my heart rate climbs very rapidly at first, then it reaches a very mild plateau, and then climbs again to a slightly higher level. The end of this plateau is usually ~ 1:35 - 2:10 into my Jack Daniels Interval workouts. I am not expert on the subject, but I wonder if this is my body entering into the wonderful VO2 max world?



Well, I hope your guy's run was successful as well!
For a non-running related comment, do you know what I learned last night after my last post? The following phrase is NOT foreplay: "Hey honey, I have been playing with my feet all night and now my hands smell like cheese." ... Wow, who would'a thunk it?!!

Minken, sortie.

2 comments:

Koza said...

Dave, youre track along the Seine has nothing on Westside High School! Go Wolves!

Last night Andrew and I headed off to the track for our interval workout. My workout included a 2 mi warmup followed by 5x4min repeats with 3min jogs. Of course the jogs turn into a jog/walk/drink after number 3 for me. Last week I did 4x4min so was able to add another rep. The breathing felt very good, but was feeling the legs a bit. I was able to keep my pace at 7min/mi or slightly under despite the 25 mi/hr headwind down half the track! Oh and lets not forget about the perfect temps and humidity for this type of workout... I think my last 4 min repeat was about 6:50 min/mi or so. 2 mi cool down after that.

Hopefully I can start adding in some 1200m over the next couple weeks.

Alright, back to work...

Anonymous said...

Bud - Glad to see that the blog has added some colorful visuals. And graphs at that - wouldn't expect anything less from a geophysist.... :)

Keep it colorful...
MM