Saturday, July 12, 2008

Bienvenue a Houston!

Today I received a "friendly reminder" as to how "awesome" it is to run in the Houston heat! Fun , fun! In the last 12 hours I arrived in Houston from Paris (10 hour flight), hurried over to the best running store in all of Houston to buy not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, but 5 new pairs of sneakers (this should keep me on the trails for a few miles), met my buds for a regular priced beer (i.e. less than 10 bucks), had a quick nap, then headed out to Bear Creek and Cullen Park for 15 easy miles with my main man JD. It is amazing how quickly a run goes by when you have awesome company, good conversation, and similar motivations! Despite the heat, today's run was awesome...I am really glad to be back in Houston running with my main man (albeit breifly :( ). The run went as follows:

7:33/7:29/7:24/7:27/7:29/7:31/7:27/7:27/7:27/7:28/7:19/7:20/7:22/7:20/7:23 min/mile
Average Pace: 7:26 min/mile

For those of you more interested in shoes and attire (perhaps not these types of shoes, but you are reading my blog and this is what the chef is cooking today!). I have abondoned all of my staple shoes (i.e. Asics Nimbus and New Balance 426) for some new tires that felt good when I tried them last night. I am hoping that my pudgy, swollen feet from a full day of travel did not negatively impact my decision making abilities last night. I bought:
1. Asics Gel Cumulus
2. Mizuno Wave Precision
3. Saucony Grid Triumph
4. Adidas Adistar Cushion 6
5. Asics Gel Landreth

I thought that I would never own a pair of Adidas (just like I will NEVER own Nike) but boy did they feel good when trying them out. So I wore them on my 15 miler today as well and I was really pleased! That is why we should all be open to new ideas and experimentation (speaking strictly about running...of course!!)

I am off to do more shopping. I feel like such a girl spending all my time buying shoes and shopping...there I said it, so you can check your comments at the door!

ps - As an aside, I watched 3 episodes of House on the plane yesterday. I have always avoided watching this shoe because I figured it would be another stupid show like ER or something. I was totally wrong - that show is awesome - it is really clever and I love the characters. I think I shall look for some season dvd's today as well!

Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're gonna like the Asics Landreth. They aren't the lightest tread in the stable but they are certainly cushioned and they last forever!

Junie B said...

Welcome 'home'.