Wednesday, July 9, 2008

46 laps...Good times!

I started this blog when my training for Berlin started to increase in intensity as a means to communicate with my (now virtual) training partner, JD, back in Houston so that we could stay motivated when the training started to get hard(er). I also wanted to use it as a means to encourage my other buddy, The Koza, as he is also training for Berlin (which will be his first - nice way to start I think!)

I have recieved several comments that some of my readers do not really understand all the 'technical jargon' (or, Jack Daniels' nomenclature if you will) I use to describe my runs. Obviously, the best way to understand my training routine is to read Jack's book. But I have heard MANY complaints from runners that this book is too confusing and is too heavy. So, if that is not useful, let me suggest a nice summery of Jack Daniel's training written by my buddy JD (who introduced me to this training program) for the Houston Strider's Stridelines (I simply cannot remember for which month however). If that is still not helpful, let me explain very briefly.

You are assigned a number, called your VDOT, which is based on your current fitness level. The easiest way to assess your current fitness level is to run a race! Your race time correlates to a specific VDOT. Currently, my VDOT is somewhere between 58-61. I then use this VDOT number as a guide for what all of my training paces should be. It makes sense that since my VDOT number is based on my current fitness level that the training paces are appropriate for all my workouts. Now that I know what paces I should run at, when should I run them?

Jack Daniels marathon program is broken into 4 phases. Phase 1 is easy miles (i.e. injury prevention for later). Phase 2 is designed to increase your ability to utilize oxygen within your system (aka VO2 max) - which is done by running Intervals. Phase 3 is designed to increase your efficiency (i.e. ability to process lactic acid) - which is done by running Threshold. Phase 4 is refining, racing, and kickin' A!
There you have it! So without further ado, phase 3 started in earnest today as today was my first threshold run of this phase. The prescribed workout is as follows:

2 mile warmup
4x (10 min Threshold + 2 min recovery)
2 mile cooldown

Instead of 10 minutes of threshold, I did 1.75 mile repeats with 0.25 mile recovery. I was at the track and this was just easier! I will report my splits as (1 mile, 0.75 mile). Here is what actually happened:

2 mile warmup - 7:16/7:19 min/mile
1. (5:54, 4:30) - 10:24 minutes (+ 1:49 recovery)
2. (5:59, 4:30) - 10:29 minutes (+ 1:51 recovery)
3. (5:56, 4:30) - 10:26 minutes (+ 1:52 recovery)
4. (5:55, 4:26) - 10:21 minutes
1.75 mile cooldown ~ 7:13 min/mile

Total Threshold = 41:40 minutes = 7 miles = 5:57 min/mile average pace (VDOT ~ 59.5).

Total Weekly Miles (so far) = 32.18 miles (On target!)

Here is my HR and pace plot. I am really happy with how this plot looks! I felt really "comfortable" the entire workout and was very satisfied with the consistency of my thresholds. I hate to mention it again to my Houston readers but I am sure that the wonderful conditions here certainly help!!


A+
ps - JD - got your message...I think that I will start hydrating now for the weekend!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, it is crystals clear now. Can you further break it down for a runner that is training for a marathon in January. He does not own a watch, heart rate monitor, or a pair of revealing shorts, which makes this training philosophy slightly problematic. Additionally, he would prefer to do a third of the training that most programs require. Please advise?

Houston couch potato