Sunday, March 1, 2009

March 1: Great Weekend!

It seems lately that I have just been so busy that I suddenly realize that I have not blogged for a week and people must think that I am not doing anything! (But if I am going to abandon my blog for a week, I am glad that it was Cher who manned my blog as the latest post!). On the contrary! Last week I did some more easy runs (8 miles here, 6 miles there), worked with my man-trainer for my usual hour of dude sweat, got better from being sick, and (most importantly) welcomed my dad at the Paris Airport on Friday night! En route to London for work he was able to swing into Paris for the weekend! (I just love how 'tiny' the world seems these days...don't you?!)

Saturday was a gorgeous day (+14 degrees C) in Paris. We biked to Starbucks where we could enjoy a large cup of coffee,

Jennie and I at Starbucks


then we decided to take a walking tour of the Opera Garnier. I have always admired the beauty of the Opera House from the outside and it was certainly a treat to admire its inner beauty as well.

Dad and I in the main concert hall.


Dad and I by the grand staircase.


Jennie and I in the Lobby.


What I found ironic about the Opera House is that it was commissioned by Napeoloen III in 1858 (construction was from 1861-1875) with many special features built just for the emperor. There is a special entrance, a gaurd's room, and a special box on stage left that would allow people to view him at the theatre. However, by the time the Opera House was built he had been exiled and had already died. All these things that were specially built for him were never once used by him.
For those of you in love with the Phantom of the Opera (and I know that one of my very close readers is), you may be interested to know that the underground lake (where I believe the Phantom sings Angel of Music) and the falling chandelier in the Phantom of the Opera were inspired by this Opera House.
We finished the day by going to see Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino. I had no idea what to expect from this movie, other than Clint Eastwood would probably spend much of the movie looking like he would be grimacing in pain and looking directly into the sun the whole time. That was definitely true! However, great movie! The acting (other than Clint Eastwood) was terrible, but a great story line and clever writing can make up for actor shortcomings in a movie quite easily. I would recommend it.
Another great weekend is winding down. :(
I think I will head out for an easy run (8-10 miles) here shortly. Maybe it is time I start running some double digit runs if I am going to run marathon in a month...no?!

Dad, me, and Jennie outside our apartment.
A+

2 comments:

Laura said...

Did my post about my 18 mile run intimidate you? You better get going or we might just pass you in Paris.

Sonia said...

+14°C.... +14°C. Seriously?

I HATE YOU!

Kidding aside, I really hate you =)

Glad you had fun with you Dad visiting, we all get busy one way or the other it seems!