Friday, March 20, 2009

March 20: It's a Starbucks Day

Ok, for those of you who knew me in Houston and were well aware of my self-imposed Starbucks ban (that lasted for well over a year I might add), you may not want to read the rest of this post because you will just shake your head and say, "Boy has he changed."

Since moving to Paris I have been frequenting Starbucks quite a bit. "Sacre bleu!" you say, "Of all the places to avoid Starbucks, Paris should be it!" Well, at first I would agree with that. But then I challenge you, my reader(s...if I should be so lucky) to find a LARGE cup of hot liquid that you can enjoy for a solid 30-45 minutes anywhere inside the Paris city limits. If you are the type of person who can make an espresso last this long because you take 2o minute breaks between sips, well then kudos to you, you are a Parisien at heart. I am not that type of person - if I have a drink in my hand, I will sip it on average (I am guessing here) at least once every 2 minutes...plus I have not drunk coffee in quite some time now but I do enjoy a nice cup of tea.

Also, knowing the location of the nearest Starbucks also means that, by default, you also know where the next clean (questionable at times) bathroom is while you are out and about. Sure, most cafe's have one but sometimes I do not want to devote an hour and half of sitting in some cafe just so I can use the bathroom.

Today I found myself in Starbucks after lunch waiting in line to get my afternoon tea and I was amusing myself with my usual game of " 'tourist?' or 'not a tourist?' " I can usually tell the tourist or the fresh fish (if you will) because they are the one standing in line looking very intent, overly concerned, and a little too full of nervous anticipation for a such a 'simple' task of ordering a coffee. Today I thought I saw a 'tourist' but then I looked over his shoulder and I saw a notepad full of french writing. "Hmmm...bad guess today," I thought. Then I looked closer and I saw the french phrases were:

"Je ne parle pas francais" (I do not speak french)
" Vous-etes american?" (Are you American)

Clearly this guy had just come from french class and he must have just arrived if those were his notes for the day. So I introduced myself. Turns out he has just been here for 2 weeks, will be here "indefinitely, and has already been mapping road bike routes in and around Paris (Have I mentioned that I just finishing getting my road bike assembled this past week for that very same reason?! Good timing!). Anyhow - seemed like a really nice guy...We plan on going for a bike ride soon. So, if you are keeping track, it has only taken me a year to meet a new friend outside of work and work acquaintances....lol

Later this afternoon I returned to Starbucks for another tea (shhhh, shhhh, shhhh...I don't want to hear it!) and while standing in line I see a good friend of mine's wife of whom will be meeting tomorrow night! What are the odds?! I know nobody in a city of 10 million people, yet Starbucks has become my social hub!

So today was definitely a Starbucks day. Perhaps on Monday I will go three times...imagine how popular I will be then?!!

In other news - Jennie and I went to see Marley and Me tonight. Cute movie. One that I could have easily waited to watch on the plane during some future flight, but cute none-the-less.

You stay classy Paris.

A+

2 comments:

Laura said...

Loved this post! I almost missed it, not used to so many posts from you in short amount of time. BUT, I lived in Paris for about 6 months and played the same game (Tourist, not Tourist.) It's kind of hard not to play it when you are there. Your post just made me laugh and made me think about the times when the American Tourists would ask me, in broken french, where the Louvre was - so much fun to play with their minds and answer in french, then let them off the hook by breaking into perfect American english...good memories.

Unknown said...

I was so disappointed at your Starbuck's ban. I'm glad the strike is over. Now, I just wish you and Jen frequentend MY Starbucks.