Monday, June 1, 2009

May 31: I'm an addict

Saturday morning I woke up, looked outside, saw that it would be a beautiful day and was excited about the beginning of my weekend. I was also a little extra pumped because yesterday Jennie asked if we could play Dominion together. We have played Dominion before and I was only luke-warm about the game after my initial experiences with it. But on Friday night I really started to feel the excitement with it (even though I lost, and by a HUGE margin, each time). On Saturday I still had boardgames on my mind and decided to look for a boardgame store in Paris. As it turns out, "the biggest boardgame store in Paris" is less than a 5 minute walk from me...score!

I was unsure if they would have French or English (or both) boardgames but I thought that I would go check it out. We got there right when the store opened and for the next 45 minutes I was like a kid in candystore. Most of the games were French, but I managed to find a few that have been on my radar - Rail Road Tycoon (the boardgame), Mamma Mia, and Le Havre. Somewhere along the way Jennie decided to go home without me - I am sure she told me while I was reading the back of a box sometime...

Le Havre was the whole reason I wanted to go in the firstplace (the other 2 were well-priced bonus items!). At first I could not find their Le Havre games, but I finally found a stack of about 8 Le Havre games up by the counter. I held my breath in anticipation as I turned the box around, hoping to see english, but was extremely disappointed to see French. "Bummer," I thought, at least these other 2 games will be sweet.

So, I walked up to the counter, ready to officially introduce these two new games into my game collection when out of the corner of my eye I see the bottom corner of a box half sticking out of a pile of Fantasy magazines (remember this is a boardgame store - not that other type of store that may sell these types of magazines) that resembelled Le Havre. I walked over, moved aside the magazines and like Hannah from the Heavens, there sat the 1 copy of the Australian version (i.e. english) of Le Havre. I am quite sure that I may have let out a school girl's giggle at that time, but I cannot really remember - it was all just happening so fast!

10 minutes later I was leaving the store with 2 big bags full of my games in my hands, whisteling a tune, and skipping down the street. When I approached the traffic light I noticed there was a little old lady who seemed to be having some problems, so went up to her, offered my hand and helped her cross the street. Today was a great day!

After coming home and letting Jennie see my euphoria first hand I realized that this type of reaction may mean that I could be an addict. Consider this post as step 1 - I admit that I am an addict. As an ammendment to step 1, I would also like to add (since I am already in the process of admitting things) that I am only here at this meeting because I am hoping to find more people just like me who want to go have a good time after the meeting!

We have played all 3 games now and I am even more giddy about them now!

A+

2 comments:

Treasure Hunter said...

I like to think of myself as a flea market junkie - my heart starts pounding when I spot from a mile away a little hidden gem that's waiting to be "adopted" and taken home to be loved. It's the thrill of the hunt - never knowing what I'll uncover with each trip - it's addicting and fun! (Sound familiar?)

I'm very impressed that you used your "explorer sense" and located "THE" game. Only true treasure hunters possess this quality....

So - like me - you are indeed a master treasure hunter.....that being said - I welcome you to the club! I look forward to defeating you in Le Havre! :)

Usalapbit said...

I'm surprised that you found English edition board games in Paris.

I also have board games in English edition, but I bought all in US and brought them here in Paris.

Maybe we can play together when we have a chance.