Monday, June 22, 2009

June 22: Oh yeah, I have a blog...

...and apparently it is a running blog too! Lately I could call this blog 'run in deserted town' or 'too busy at work taking it from the man to blog...city' or something like that.

But for those who care, I actually managed to put together 29 scrappy miles last week. These are my first real runs since the Paris marathon. To be honest, I would have preferred to be on my bike but I just do not have the time to make a ride worthwhile. I am not sure what the point of riding is if you cannot get out for at least over an hour. Similarily for running, I have a hard time justifying a second shower for the day unless I go for at least 45 minutes. But seeing that I have been really pressed for time lately, running wins as it requires the least time commitment. (I admit that the problem with my logic above is that sometimes all you can do is squeeze in 20 minutes here or 20 minutes there and if you ignore these opportunities because they are "too short" then you find 2 weeks has gone by and you have nothing!)

Anyhow, I am definitely starting from scratch again with running. It was a humbling week as I found that I had to build up to my 8 mile run at the end of the week. My lungs were on fire for the runs at the beginning of the week whereas my legs picked up where my lungs left off by the end of the week.

Today I ran another 8 miles and am starting to find some semblance of a fit (?) runner again. Around mile 4 I thought of my sister who ran her first 10km a few weeks ago and I got shivers. Then I thought of my brother who has signed up for the Perth half marathon and I got more shivers. Then I thought of the runner I once was, and the runner I would like to be again, and I got even more shivers. Then I thought of the treadmill I just bought because that is all I will get to run on in Lagos and I was instantely hot and sweaty again.

A+

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A wise man once said "i don't get out of bed for a run less than three miles".

houston couch potatoe

Bert said...

Showing up is half the battle, so you're on the right track. Any run is a good run in my book, but yeah 3 miles is about the minimum distance to make the preparation and reparation worth it.