Monday, June 8, 2009

June 8: Welcome to Africa

I started this morning in (1st world) Paris and tonight I find myself getting ready to tuck myself into bed under the watchful gaurd of semi-automatic rifles and surrounded by walls with coiled razor wire on top in (a totally different world) Lagos, Nigeria.

Actually, the best part of the journey was once I arrived in Lagos. Everything that could go wrong in Paris, did go wrong. There was some issue with the metro, which led to no cabs being available, which led to Parisians trying to jump the taxi cue "because they had something/somewhere important to do/go" (but when you try to tell them that we all have places to go, they just do not seem to understand!), which led to David being slightly stressed to make it to the airport in time.

I finally got on the plane and was (not so) pleasantly reminded that I was travelling to a country where cleanliness is a very low priority. The plane smelled like a high school locker room after two-a-days in August. I managed to get a seat next to a guy with a "I (heart) Jesus" hat, when I only wished that he had a different hat saying "I (heart) soap". While I was watching my movie (with my Bose noise-cancelling headphones) he put the hat infront of my screen and asked me if I knew Him. I had to politely respond that "what I do know, is that I am watching a movie". (For the first time I actually thought that one of my sister's invention ideas would actually be useful...)

Upon arriving in Lagos I was put into a van with some other guys from my company. In the front seat was a local wearing a flack jacket, a helmet, and was armed with a machine gun. Behind us we had another truck with 4 other individuals dressed the same way. When surrounded with people like this I never know if I should feel safe or in danger? One one hand you feel safe because you have some serious fire-power surrounding you, but on the other hand you feel in danger knowing that this protection is required.

I did not have a chance to take any photos today. I am actually here to find a place to live for Jennie and I for the next 3 years. So there will be plenty of time for photos later and, besides, I do not want to scare Jennie just yet!!

What struck me though was all the people. All along the freeway people are just standing, or walking in amongst the cars, or walking. There is just no end of people. I started to get the impression that they were all standing there waiting for a car or bus to pick them up. But every vehicle on the road was filled to at least double or triple occupancy, so I cannot really imagine how they will eventually get home.

The roads are terrible. It feels like driving on an old country road (even though they are paved). So, it looks like we will be in the market for a big ol' Texas 4x4 Truck or Texas Soccer Mom vehicle again.

Tomorrow I will be looking for our prison, I mean house, and I promise pictures. I cannot wait to see more of Lagos!

A+

4 comments:

worried sib said...

Dude - Not exactly a ringing endorsement....Do we need to add a heavy duty flack jacket to your Christmas list?

Bert said...

Welcome to Africa indeed. That impression - of seeing people just basically standing around, even lounging on the roads, is so typical of many parts of Africa. Never been to Lagos or Nigeria for that matter, so keen to see your pics. Stay safe.

Laura said...

Reading your post, I am now thankful to have spent a few moments with you in Paris when we did - I hope you and Jennie are prepared for this!

Karoline said...

I think it will be an amazing experience. Hang in there! Can't wait to hear more!!!