Tuesday, June 9, 2009

June 9: The First Day of a New Adventure - Lagos, Nigeria

Today was my first full day in Lagos, Nigeria. After only 1 day it is clear to me that a place like this simply cannot be described or explained to anyone who has not been here. I am definitely opening the book to a new and, what I am sure will be, a very interesting chapter.

Today I checked out my company's health clinic where I was happy to learn that they have a special bullet wound kit. From there I went car shopping where I learned that the Nigerian version of Pimp my Ride is that instead of choosing 22's and spinners I get to choose from a variety of bullet proof glass. From there we went looking for our future home. I was taken to only 3 places and had to prioritize them in order of what I wanted. As far as I am concerned there was really only one choice - I really hope it is the one that we get...I should find out by the end of this week.

Despite the safety concerns I have mentioned, you can actually walk around and do many "normal" things on your own. Today I walked to a Supermarket all on my own and bought some bottled water. I needed this so I could brush my teeth (which I have not done yet since I have arrived....gross!). You will see in the pictures that my hotel water is quite dirty - without bottled water to brush my teeth with I found myself in quite a predicament both last night and this morning. I opted to avoid the water and tried to cover my funky breath with terrible coffee breath instead today. Luckily tomorrow I will be minty fresh again!

At my work there are security gaurds at the end of each corridor. To go from the front gate to an office on the second floor I passed 6 security stations, each one verifying my ID badge.

I was also given a special walkie-talkie today with a speed dial to the government's special police. Should I ever get stopped by the regular police I hit the speed dial on this walkie-talkie, which will send the armored police. Upon their arrival I am instructed to leave immediately and let the 2 of them "negotiate".

Here is a link to the photos taken today. Most of them were taken from the car while driving. Although not of great quality, they are meant to paint a little picture of Lagos.

Lagos - Pre Affectation Trip

A+

2 comments:

Still Worried Sib said...

Hmmmmm? I'm not sure what to think about this one....I think a "new adventure" may be "oh-so" slightly an understatement! :)

Good thing you're a strong and healthy lad with the ability to thrive in any sort of condition. Word of advice: think of that water as "Hulk Water" (young JKD's thing) - drink it and you'll CRUSH anything that gets in your way...

Watch out Nigeria here comes HULK Big Wave Dave! :)

Pony and Petey said...

All kidding aside...I will definitely be praying for safety for you and Jennie!!

I look forward to hearing the unique stories and descriptions of your life in this new place.