Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentines Weekend

After another intense spinning session on Thursday, and a long day at work on Friday I was ready for the weekend! The Mrs. joined me up at La Defense for dinner and a movie. Dinner was average, which is really disappointing because we have gone there before with great experiences. What cracked me up when the waiter came and asked me if it was ok? I responded by saying "no, the fries were cold and the chicken was cold and rubbery." His reply was, "oh, ok" as he walked away...and that was that! Ah yes, the world-renowned French service! If I was back in the states I am sure I could have scored a sweet oversized, deep-fried, sugar-coated, topped with whip cream desert of some sort for free out the deal. But here in lovely, "service-oriented" Paris I just got an awkward look and an uncomfortable smile. I was very careful in timing my complaint as I waited until we had everything that we needed first!

After we went to see Slum Dog Millionaire. This is the BEST movie I have seen in YEARS. Let me repeat to make myself clear - YEARS. Absolutley awesome!



It is funny, while we were waiting in line I heard some American voices talking behind me (they sounded like the voices of angels...but I digress). It was funny because we were able to predict how they were going to sit once inside the theatre. By that I mean, when Jennie and I saw our first movie in Paris we thought it a little funny that when people come into the theatre, no matter how empty, they will walk in and take the seat immediately next to you. In the states everyone is accustomed to leaving a "buffer seat" between them and the next person along the row. So, sure enough, they walk into the theatre and left a buffer seat right beside us! It is the little things that are different between the 2 cultures that make me chuckle!

Then after the movie we came home, drank some wine, and played Agricola. This is, perhaps, one of the best boardgames I have ever played. It is a very dense game that took us a few plays to sort out, but now that we have it sorted we have been playing it over dinner pretty regularily! As you can tell, it is also quite a big game!



So, that was the good part of my weekend - Saturday morning I got up with plans for a longer run. As the day progressed I got sicker, and sicker, and sicker...So, Valentine's was been spent with me shivering on the couch for the best part of the day. But before I started to suck, we did manage to find a cupcake store in Paris and we made it our project to go get some cupcakes. I was inspired by my sister telling me that "it is a cupcake kind of day", so it was fun to have a different mission to work towards today!

Mission accomplished: Cupcakes and Co. could be found on what could have been the most isolated street in all of Paris.


Me digging into a Red Velvet. And yes Koza, I was rockin' the hoodie all day long!


So far today I feel a lot better so I do not plan on sucking nearly as much, mais on verra.

A+

ps - Best wishes are with the Sugga Land boyz today as they go for a BQ!

3 comments:

Sonia said...

Seems like a fun week-end. I didn't know the movie culture thing. We do the same thing in Québec, we leave lots of buffer seats in between people. We like our space! LOL (In the shower too ;-))

Regarding your comment on my blog, As soon as it is nicer outside I'm going to start cycling to work ~25K one way). There is a shower there and imagine, we have a bike locker room! LOL Cycling seems 'easier' to plan than running well especially for that distance.

Sonia said...

BTW video is not working.

Minken said...

hmmm...it is working fine on my computer...oh well, go on you tube and look for the trailer for Slum Dog Millionaire - that is all it was.