Thursday, February 5, 2009

Jan.31-Feb.3: Extended Long Weekend

Although this post is exactly 1 weekend too late, I have been completely swamped this past week with work and travel (both planned and unplanned due to weather). Anyhow, last weekend The Boss and I headed to London to watch Les Miserables in the Queen's Theatre on London's West End and to watch the Superbowl and the Other Boss perform for halftime. As most trips that end with a final destination in an english speaking country I felt an instant pressure release as soon as the EuroStar pulled out of the station in Paris en route to London...this was going to be a great weekend!

Les Miserable is a theatre show that I have had on my "must see" list for a long time. I was so excited to finally check this puppy off my bucket list in none other than London's West End. In just 3 short hours in went from a "must see" to "my favorite". Amazing! If you have not seen this, at the very least go rent the movie (which is also awesome with Liam Neisson).



After the show we walked through Chinatown a little bit, which was fun with the Chinese New Year's celebrations going on...I am feeling good so far about the year of the Ox!


One thing I have noticed in London is that there seems to be a fairly significant French influence within the streets. There are a lot of patisseries and boulangeries, and of course the "wonderful patisserie"...


The next day was Game Day but kickoff was not until 11pm local time! So we took a little walk, browsed a little open air market where I found the homemade muffins too good to resist.


Hopefully this will not influence my next dental bill too much...


Finally it was game time and Jennie and I were raring to go. I was cheering for the Arizona Cars In Stalls and she was cheering for the Pennsylvania Steal Hers. (Or something like that...I really do not keep up on this type of thing).


Unfortunately, a late kick-off means a late (or early) finish. Goooo (yawn) team....yeeeaaaahhhh!


The next day we woke up, ready to go back to Paris, but saw this instead


which meant that schools and businesses all across London were closed. This also meant that we would be staying in London for one more day! Although I would regret this for the rest of the working week, it was an excellent day! The neighbour kids made some impressive snowmen


while my brother-in-law and I managed to create this (hmmmm, looks like something a little different, but I promise we started with the intention of building a snow MAN).
After some fun in the snow we played several games of Ticket to Ride: Europe. If you have not played this game, and you like boardgames, go buy it...it is really fun!


After all this, we finally returned to Paris the next day where I immediately caught another flight to Pau for work. So, needless to say, my running took a bit of a back seat to work and life this week but I did manage a sweet spinning class and 8 miles today in the snow...yep - snow. They say that spring in Paris is the best time...although I have nothing to complain about (compared to other readers on here or my Canadian childhood), I am really looking forward to that time again!
A+

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude - I'm having some serious "Ticket to Ride" withdrawals...BRING BACK THE GAME!! :) Seriously - can I bribe you with one of those rich chocolate cupcakes? I need my fix....

Pony and Petey said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

I laughed so loud I made the dogs jump up and look at me to see if I was alright!

I think I'm going to print that pic so I can look at it whenever I need a good chuckle = )

They say laughing burns quite a few calories...that pic could be the start of a new diet program!

Bringin' Sexy Back!