Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Feb. 10: Excusez moi?

First, for those that are interested here is my physical fitness update (I've been up in the gym just workin' on my fitness, fergilicious...wooooo-eeeeee):
Sunday: Ran 8 miles at a chill pace

Monday: Ran 6+ miles with extended "strides" before work.
This is a part of a whole resolution thing to free up my time in the evenings. Jennie told me that the first day of exercising before work would be easy because I would still be in the Honeymoon phase. Well, I not only skipped the honeymoon phase, but I think I also skipped the next 50 years right up until the part where we are sleeping in separate beds using each other's farts as our alarm clock phase. I really dislike morning workouts. It is interesting because it really reflects on my first couple miles' pace - they are always 30-40 seconds/mile slower than a similar run done AFTER work. I think the explanation is simple - my muscles after work have had all day to warm up and stretch out whereas in the morning they are still fighting to get horizontal again just for one more "snooze".

Tuesday (Today): 45 minute spin class after work.
Although I did wake up early this morning for another morning glory, the wind was absolutely blasting. In fact, all 3 of Paris airports were closed last night and this morning due to wind. Seriously - read more here. I had not heard wind like that since sleeping through Hurricane Rita a few years ago.

It is going to take me a little while to recalibrate my HR with cycling. When it comes to running I am usually quite aware of what my various limits are, effects of caffeine, sleeping, etc. But for cycling my HRs and my percieved exertion are different (lower). I will have to keep doing all different types of workouts to re-calibrate...looking forward to it! Generally, I am pleased with my overall intensity tonight - If I recall from my past cycling days, maximum HR is 175-180...not sure though.
Secondly, I have gotten pretty used to the definition of "personal space" here in France...meaning that you do not have any. But one place where you are usually gauranteed to get some of your own space is in the bathroom, or in the shower. In the places that I like to frequent there, generally, is not a lot of interaction in these environments. But after spinning when I was taking a shower as normal, minding my own business, keeping my eyes on the wall and, of course, at all times above shoulder level (but still avoiding eye contact). Things were going fine until I had to look down to get some more body gel out of the bottle when I saw a mop scrubbing away down by my feet! I turn around to see the janitor, no more than a foot and a half away from me, happily scrubbing my stall. Hmmmm, for those of you who like to carry your towel over your shoulder when you are in the locker room and prefer to air dry, this may not bother you...but for the rest of us, JC! When I got home I contemplated taking another shower because I still felt dirty...
A+

1 comment:

Sonia said...

Nice the janitor was flirting in the showers... lucky pal! lol