Thursday, July 9, 2009

July 9: Pin Cushion

For the last couple months I have gone from a nearly empty vaccination booklet to one that consists of two booklets stapled together. All of this to get prepared to go and live in Nigeria. Today I had my last dosage of vaccinations in conjunction with my "exit medical exam" to leave France. Lately I have been a pin cushion for my local neighborhood doctor. This has become my standard look:

One of the things that they do in the medical exam is to xray your chest and check your lungs. After consistently breathing second hand smoke (and sometimes what I am quite convinced is first-hand smoke from the guy sitting at the table beside me while insisting on holding his cigarette infront of my face) for this past year and a half I was sure that the doctor was going to diagnose me with the black lung. Or, at the very least, warn me about the dangers of working in a coal mine or something...but fortunately this was not the case!
Tomorrow I am off to England for what looks to be a very wet and soggy weekend. I guess that just means more beer, Tour de France, and boardgames inside...let it rain!
A+

1 comment:

Bert said...

Enjoy the weekend in England, just don't get too close to any smoking Brits. BTW the current Houston Press has an article about an off-shore oil worker who was kidnapped in Nigeria a couple of years ago. Pretty grim story.