Friday, July 3, 2009

July 3: Eaves dropping on the metro

Today on my way home from work I was sandwiched between two english speaking people who deemed it necessary to continue their conversation over my book, around the other two people standing between them, and during the times when the brakes of the metro were squealing, which just meant that they should started talking louder. No longer able to concentrate on my book I decided to have a little listen...

Her: Can you believe it? I had a 61 euro dinner last night on the Champs Elysees and all I had was an entree, a plat, and a glass of wine.

Him: Wow! That is expensive! The Champs Elysees is a big street you know, perhaps you can find some place cheaper tonight?

Her: Yeah. I should also try to find a wine store. I think some people would want me to bring home some French wine.

Him: That sounds like a good idea. My wife wanted me to bring her home some French face cream but I cannot believe how expensive it is!

Her: Really?!

Him: Yes. Everything I can find is 200 or 300 euros. For that price, I would rather send her to South America for some black market plastic surgey instead...

This is where David looks up to see if he is actually serious...he did not look like he was joking. If I only knew French better, I am sure I would hear these gems of conversations all the time on the metro! Good stuff!

A+

No comments: