Monday, October 12, 2009

Oct. 9-11: Weekend

Fridays these days are just not filled with same sort of eager anticipation I used to have when I worked back in Houston. In Houston I only worked half-day Fridays, which meant that if you strolled in a little late (which most people did), went for a coffee with a couple co-workers (which most people did), and headed out a little early for an "early lunch" (which most people did) you barely had enough time to check email and make plans (usually a little Golden Tee and beers) for that afternoon and/or the weekend. (The Koz and I call this "early dismissal Friday" and it was awesome!)

Now in Lagos, everyone generally works at least a half day on Saturday, which leaves Friday with a pretty normal feeling associated with it. The only time that people get really excited and giddy around here is on their travel days when they are headed out.

So, on Friday I woke up and commuted to work as usual.
After putting in my usual day of "changing the world one seismic interpretation at a time", I headed out for some beers at Bunglows. The general Friday night routine is to meet for beers at Bungalows, go home and "freshen up", then meet back at some restaurant (hoping that you do not have to pay any police bribes while crossing Falamo Bridge), to be followed by some more beers.
But remember be to responsible about your beer intake. You would hate to be caught in a situation where you might be forced to pee on somebody's wall.
No seriously - do not pee on his wall.
I think I see at least one person peeing against walls, or posts, or cars every day. But strong warnings like that should make him think twice...no?!
This sign (below) made me laugh for two reasons.
1. My mom used to tell me this all the time when cleaning was to be done. (This is another shameless parenting technique of guilting you into making your bed or putting your toys away!)
2. I took this picture on a Sunday, which is one of the few days that I can actually walk around and that my company will authorize personal driving. Why Sunday? Because all of the people in Lagos are in church and there is no traffic. But Lagos is the dirtiest place I have ever seen (besides a dump). So, perhaps you can see why I find this sign ironic?
This is my new home. You would think that it is garbage day with the garbage out front. But to be honest, I am not even sure that is our garbage.
Me heading into the building with the weekend drawing to a close.
Another week has passed, which means I am one week closer to returning home to seeing Jennie and baby!
Cheers

No comments: