Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Oct. 21: Finding Solutions - Nigerian Style

Since I have moved into my flat I have been making constant complaints about the condition of things. The stove does not work, the patio does not lock, I found cigarette butts and ashes on the floor upon arrival, and the patio has a leak that is damaging the tiles and makes half of it un-usable. Each of these complaints (among the others I have not mentioned) have been addressed in typical Nigerian fashion. This basically means that instead of coming with the intention to fix these problems they are more eager to enter your house just to see what you have and if anything might be worth stealing. Then they report back to their superiors that the problem is fixed. This leads to multiple phone calls and emails by me to convince their superiors that they were lied to and the problem is still just as bad as ever (but thank you for continuing to waste my time).

Regarding the patio leak I previously mentioned, here is the email chain concerning this issue (and I am quoting the emails exactly):

Me (first email): "There is a leak on the patio, which damaging the patio railing and floor. Thank you for helping resolve this issue in a timely fashion. "

Me (second email - 5 days later): "I am still waiting on this issue. What is the status of this requests? Thank you"

Response (6 days after initial request):
"The problem: The slab of Flat 6B balcony accummulates water which drips on the balcony of Flat 5B . The water gets inside of the slab through Tile joints, which inplies that the surface of Flat 6B bacony was not properly water proof.

Solution: We advise you to put a Flower pot on the spot to absorb the water and make the spot pleasant to view."

Welcome to Nigeria folks.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

I guess you had better get your gardening gloves out. Plant something bright and cheerful!

Junie B said...

LMAO!

Junie B said...

oh and hey David should I do this?

www.warriordash.com

new work email is june.vidrine@valic.com

Hi Jennie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!