Thursday, April 16, 2009

April 15: BRIGHT Test

Today I finally bit the bullet and re-wrote the BRIGHT test. What is the Bright Test? Well, it is simply a quick and efficient way in which I can prove that my French language skills still suck. It is a test, scoring from 0-5, that my employer uses to gauge one's fluency in any language. The Frenchies have to take the English Bright test and I have to take the French Bright test.

Theoretically any employee has to score 2.5 or better to be allowed (I mean, given the priviledge..ahem) to set foot in the promise land to work. I scored a 1.0 before coming to Paris, which basically meant that I could hold a french conversation with a orangataun at the Paris zoo. So how did I manage to work here then? Ah yes, of course, I promised that I would only stay for a short while EN ROUTE to Nigeria. It is amazing the policies that they overlook as soon as someone volunteers to go to Nigeria!

So I rewrote the test and scored 2.1! What does this mean? Well now I could probably not only talk to the orangataun but to his keeper as well (but nothing more than the weather and to tell him to go fetch me a banana as well!). Hmmm, now that I think about it even talking about the weather is a little sketchy. If it is a nice and sunny day I could probably nail it, but if there are variable conditions and storms I may just have to tell him to call me when it is sunny and leave quickly.

I am actually quite happy with my score. It is a huge improvement from the first test and has given me some (much needed) confidence with my language. Generally I feel that this language thing will never happen for me and it can get quite discouraging. A good result like this certainly helps. This is just in time before I move, excellent!

ps - only 1 run in the last 10 days (8 miles with Jennie). But I have been riding 20-25 miles/day since Easter.

A+

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Pacing duties.
Good job on the test! I am impressed!!

Laura said...

I am now satisfied that the book I gave you is making a difference at work! Finally, a contribution that I can make to your life!!

btw - I only just got out and ran today. It felt great, but I am in serious need of a new challenge. I am contimplating the Buffalo Marathon at the end of May - thoughts?